pages

background

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Kremnica, Slovakia

When we were preparing for camp I had to run into the city for a few last minute things and my friend Miska went with me. She is so full of knowledge, I love walking around with her because I always learn something new about some kind of history here in Slovakia.

We had our English camp in a city called Kremnica. It is a beautiful.

Funny thing about small towns is that the people are so kind. When Miska and I were looking for last minute items...pencils, sharpeners, sticky notes, erasers, crayons, etc. We could not find anything open. It was a Saturday and everything closed early. So we went into one shop and asked the lady if she knew where we could get anything of the sorts...she grinned, "no, nothing is open around here..." so, before we left she asked us to wait and went to the back of the store (keep in mind this was a little store that could probably hold 6-8 people at a time in it). She came back with most of the supplies we needed...they were here own personal supplies. She was willing to give them to us. WOW, Miska and I grinned, we love small villages. So we kindly paid her for her items and proceeded to find more of what we needed. It is amazing to me how kind the people are in such small towns/villages. Miska and I laughed about that all day.

I did not forget...here is a bit of history that I learned about Kremnica...

Kremnica is most famous for its mint. It has been producing coins since the 14th century and still produces coins for the surrounding nations today.
It is said that the hills in Kremnica are full of gold and silver.

There is also an old gate entrance that is still there and a castle. We climbed to the top and you can see over the entire city. While I was looking out I kept trying to imagine what it must have been like when the castle was all in one piece and you could look over the walls at people coming your way, like the guards did years ago.
There was also an old church in the castle that is still used today for services on Sunday. The church was beautiful and had a ton of HUGE pipe organs in there as well. I would have loved to hear those play.





Also, this past May in the local paper here, there was an article about a man from Kremnica who was making coins for Iraq last year and he has signed some papers/contracts for this. Well, when he went to delvier the coins, he was killed and then the truck with the coins was then stollen by the Iraq's. Sad how it happened last year but just came out in the paper this year....

No comments: