pages

background

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Old fashioned living...















What is 'Old Fashioned' living anyways? Since I have been wondering around the hills of Slovakia and other parts of Eastern Europe I have noticed this is still a culture of doing things the old fashioned way. When I first got here I wondered why everything had to be so difficult...I mean, why not just use a lawn mower, drive to the store for what you need, use a dryer for your clothes, or a dishwasher for that matter.
Cutting grass in Slovakia is a chore for some (pictured above), they use a blade and swing it at the grass to cut it. Could you imagine doing that to an entire field. By the time you finished the other end would have already started growing back. In the other picture is a couple walking into the woods to gather mushrooms to cook with. Amazing...we would grow them in our backyard if we really wanted to pick something. Not them, they walk MILES back into the woods to find there vegetables and herbs (basil, etc).
It has amazed me how devoted they are to their culture. The Slovaks are hard workers and GREAT cooks. I have enjoyed EVERY meal that a family has cooked me.

Why am I so interested in this?? Is it because I am from a society of convenience? To be honest, I really enjoy the non-convenient side of thing, or what seems to be non-convenient for me.

No comments: